Thursday, July 31, 2008

Take note... they've been with Jesus.


I had a conversation with a friend a while back on the existence of God and he's probably the most honest agnostic I've ever met. He told me, "Look, I don't have enough proof to say that there isn't a God but at the same time I don't have enough proof to say that there is one. So I'm just here and I'm ok with that. I try to be good to people and live by my set of morality." Honest. I liked it.
Needless, I was still thinking to myself, 'What can i do to help this guy out? How can I prove to him that God exists? Can I give him a scientific book that PROVES there is a higher being? Can I have him sit down with some really smart people and have an in depth discussion?' And as I was contemplating all of this, he went to church with one of our friends.
We started talking about Jesus again this week and he told me, "Oh yeah, I went to church on Sunday." (I was a little taken aback that he would even go!) And when I inquired as to what he thought about it, he said the most profound thing, "I was amazed at their passion, at their joy and their conviction of worshiping God."
I don't think this guy's opinion has changed THAT much on whether there is or isn't a God, but what struck me was that the thing that peaked this guy's interest was not some scientific argument or profound word of wisdom, it was people living a life of FAITH.
It makes me think about Acts when Peter and John stood up and proclaimed truth from God's Word. It says how amazed the teachers of the law were by what they said because they were ordinary and unschooled men. And then it says, "They took note that these men had been with Jesus."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey,happened to read ur post while surfing for a story idea... i am a writer btw and have been travelling, surfing the net et al to overcome this recent block... i dont know if ur post has helped my story in any way but it certainly touched my heart... i am a strong believer in God and have come across several people who don't believe in god. I think they ll know it when god thinks is the right time for them to know it.
God Bless You

abby said...

Jamie,
Are you having these conversations in Spanish? You are my hero.

You seemed to have found such a dynamic fit with your work. Saving the world, one crazy teenage girl at a time. :)