Tuesday, April 13, 2010

To commune with the lover of my soul...

How often do you do it? Once a week, once a month, the first Sunday of every 3rd month? It might just be something you take for granted... thinking its nothing too important or meaningful. In the past 2 years, I've only had the opportunity to take it three times. So as I heard the call to Communion on Sunday morning, I could not slow my rapidly beating heart.
As I thought about the words spoken, "Do this as often as you drink it in remembrance of me..." my Lord drew me to communion with him; not just on Sunday morning but every time my body is sustained by a piece of bread or my thirst quenched by a drink of water. This is what my Father is doing for me each time I commune with him. I am allowing His broken body to keep my earthly broken body moving forward until the day He calls me home. I am letting His blood quench my thirsty and dry soul.
This Sunday, unlike any before, as I chewed slowly on a small piece of bread, I asked the Lord to be the One who sustains my life every moment of every day. As tears mixed with the juice from this small cup, I asked that He would refresh me and give me a deeper thirst for him.
Jesus, thank you for drawing us to commune with you. Thank you for not leaving us alone and in our own filth. Thank you for your cleansing power and making a way for us to be with you. Thank you for WANTING to commune with ME, O Lover of my soul!

8 comments:

Shantel said...

Very encouraging. Really have enjoyed reading your updates. You definitely have a gift for writing.

Randy said...

And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight" (Acts 20:7).
I attend A Church of Christ we have communion every Sunday. Please feel free and look ay my Blog @ http://randysdevotionals.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tzippy said...

Very beautifully said.

starcakeastrology.blogspot.com said...

beautiful post..

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful way of expressing what God has given to us all!

Rachel B said...

Thank you Jamie. Thank you. Communion is something I love, and something I hate. I love the rememberance of Christ's sacrifice and love and totally amazing mercy. But the actual elements...I can't eat the bread because of my food allergy, and it's always so frustrating to miss half of the whole thing. Thank you for writing because you've gently reminded me of why we join together for Communion in the first place. Yes, it's for the rememberance, but it's deeper than elements or symbols. It's communion with the Father, Savior and Spirit. You've encouraged me!