Thursday, May 8, 2008

Bastante!

The joke around here is that the first Spanish word you learn when you go to El Sendero is “bastante” which translated means “too/quite enough of”. For example: if you put too many potatoes on a plate, Gloria will give you that look and say, “hay bastante papas!”

Think of all the “too” statements you’ve made. “I can’t do that, I’m too young… too old… too shy… too loud…too tongue-tied…too inadequate…” Fill in the blank. I’m the master of the “too” statements. Some of mine have been: I’m too young, too inadequate in my language ability, too much of a girl, too single (I guess there are only two options there but still…) and the list goes on and on. When I came here the “too” statements abounded and the Lord decided to put me into every one of those situations. So when I said, I’m too inadequate in my language, he said, “Great, you’re going to start a Bible study.” Maria, the girl I co-lead the Bible study with also had a “too” statement. When we started talking about having this Bible study, she said, “I can’t do that, I’m too much of a baby-believer. I can’t lead a Bible study!” This past 7 weeks has proved otherwise.

Maria comes from a very devote Catholic home and only came to understand the gospel of Jesus Christ about three years ago. About 6 months ago, she got baptized and almost got disowned by her mother. Right now she has just started an 8 month mission to England with SIM.

Two months ago Maria told me that she could not lead a Bible study and last week my heart was elated as I watched her ask questions of the girls and give truths from God’s Word. Both of the other girls in our group have a very strong Catholic background and I was amazed to watch Maria share from her heart what the Lord had revealed to her only a couple years ago. She did what only she could do... relate to exactly where they are because she’s been there. The Lord has taken that girl who was “too much of a baby believer” and shown her the woman of God that she is and the way He can use her.

I am so thrilled to see my friend Maria take this huge leap of faith and I can’t wait to see what else God does with her life.

As she left for England last week I encouraged her that she can do anything that the Lord has called her to do. She looked at me and said, “I can… and any time I think I can’t I’m going to think of you and how you started a Bible study with little Spanish and how God used it.” Not only did the Lord use my “I’m too” statement in MY life, he used it in the life of another to show her that with Him EVERYTHING is possible.

So next time you think… bastante… look at all the examples in the Bible and how the Lord took those who were “too” young, old, inadequate, tongue-tied, and just downright stupid and used them for His glory.

Isn’t that what it’s about anyway… HIM?

No comments: