Friday, January 23, 2009

Instant wake-up...


This morning I sat in one of Loja’s many dodgy clinics waiting for my blood to get taken. I was a little bit crotchety and anti-social due to the fact that I was woken up at 6:30am and had to fast for the test. There was a woman sitting next to me holding a piece of paper about prenatal care and a required blood test for pregnancy. As she sat down to get her blood taken, the woman asks her, “How old are you?” The response blew me away, “14.”
It was an instant wake up for me… and it broke my heart. Here was this girl, 14-years-old and alone getting blood testing and prenatal care. How alone must she feel? But that is life here… I can’t tell you how many girls I know in University who have 5 year old kids and have already been divorced by the time they are 22. It is an epidemic here… girls who desperately need love, have never seen the love of a Father, and will get “love” wherever they can get it.
For some reason, my heart has always been broken for girls like this one sitting next to me. I wanted to just reach out a girl her a hug and tell her that she is not alone.

You hear my cry
You will catch every tear from my eye
And you watch over my life…
I know that I’m safe and sound
So now I sing…
Lord you are perfect in all of your ways
You’re not easily angered
You make no mistakes
No nothing can stop you
Nothing can stand in your way.
-Nothing Can Stop You
Enter the Worship Circle

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I just wanted to say that I think you are beautiful and what you are doing is amazing. The few times you have spoken at church about your ministry, I have wanted to hop on a plane and come with you. God Bless!